Director of Development
Position Description: Voices seeks a dynamic, experienced Director of Development to serve as part of the Senior Leadership Team and contribute to the strategic leadership of the organization. The Director of Development is responsible for advancing the Voices mission by leading all fundraising and development activities and for managing the development staff to achieve fundraising success. The Director of Development will implement a comprehensive fundraising plan and establish and implement the infrastructure needed to grow a $1,500,000+ budget through the solicitation of gifts and contributions including the annual fund, special events, corporate and foundation support, major gifts and planned giving.
The successful candidate will expand and diversify the Voices donor base by developing and maintaining effective relationships with potential and current donors, foundation administrators, corporate giving officers and others as appropriate to provide support for Voices’ initiatives. In addition, the Director of Development will work closely with the board of directors, the Resource Development Committee, staff and volunteers and support these associates in taking on a more active fundraising role.
- Provide strategic direction for Voices fundraising and outreach efforts; work closely with the Board of Directors, Resource Development Committee, President, and senior staff to establish and articulate long term annual fundraising objectives
- Oversee the creation, implementation and management of development strategies to meet identified goals in each fundraising area
- Oversee prospect research and develop relationships with prospective individuals, corporations, foundation donors that lead to direct solicitations. Create and oversee implementation of portfolios for major donor stewardship, cultivation and solicitation.
- Personally cultivate, grow, solicit and steward a portfolio of institutional, major gifts and annual fund donors and prospects
- Oversee the planning, implementation, and follow-up of the Annual Benefit Dinner and Business Luncheon
- Provide oversight to ensure the accuracy, integrity and confidentiality of donor and prospect data
- Work with the VP and communications staff to create development-related public relations and marketing materials (such as the annual report, brochures, press releases, newsletters, website, etc…) that work in coordination with overall organizational marketing efforts
- Work with President and Executive Committee to assist in board development identification and recruitment
- Prepare annual development budgets and income projections; regularly review fundraising revenue and expenses; track progress to goals; prepare reports and presentations for the VP, President and Board of Directors
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree and CFRE preferred
- 10 or more years of development experience working in the nonprofit sector as a senior development staff including management responsibilities and extensive experience working with volunteer leadership
- Demonstrated passion for children’s issues and understanding of advocacy
- Successful leadership and managerial experience in senior fundraising position with demonstrated ability to lead effective donor-centric fundraising efforts that meet or exceed fundraising goals, including major gift campaigns, events, foundation-related strategies, and annual fund growth
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to influence diverse people to meet goals and deadlines, as well as to build and manage teams and work collaboratively with senior leadership, Board members, consultants, colleagues and volunteers
- Experience with Blackbaud fundraising software technology and web-based media
- Experience establishing and successfully executing long-term financial goals while adhering to limited budgets
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and LinkedIn profile to:
Voices for Illinois Children is an Equal Opportunity Employer. People of color, people with disabilities, women and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Voices Internship Program provides interns in communications, development, policy, and public awareness (see listings below) with valuable experience and networking opportunities with a leading advocacy organization in the state of Illinois. Voices for Illinois Children provides a flexible work schedule and a relaxed, friendly atmosphere for students to polish their skills and advance their career goals.
- There are no open internship positions at this time.