- Policy Analyst, Fiscal Policy Center
The Fiscal Policy Center at Voices for Illinois Children seeks to hire a Policy Analyst to inform and shape public debates on tax and budget policy in Illinois.
Voices for Illinois Children is an independent advocacy organization that champions strong public policies and investments for all children in our state. Voices’ Fiscal Policy Center (FPC) works 1) to improve Illinois’ tax and budget system so that the state raises adequate and sustainable revenue in an equitable manner to fund essential programs and services, and 2) to strengthen economic security and opportunities for low- and moderate-income individuals and families.
The Policy Analyst will both conduct analysis on state fiscal issues and effectively communicate complex issues in a way that advances public policies that will improve the lives of Illinois children, families, and communities. A successful Policy Analyst at the Fiscal Policy Center will help the organization shape policy conversations and drive policy priorities forward. This is a full-time position.
- Conduct research and author analysis on state budget and tax policies, with a particular emphasis on the importance of public investments that improve the lives of children, families and communities;
- Promote research findings through testimony, public presentations, and interviews with the media;
- Engage a diverse range of audiences, including community groups, advocates, policymakers and the press on the need to create a robust and sustainable tax and budget system that invests in Illinois communities;
- Increase the FPC’s profile on budget and tax issues, both through rapid response to ongoing policy debates and in-depth analysis that creates the policy space to drive needed change; and
- Collaborate with partner organizations to develop and advance measures to enhance Illinoisans’ economic security and improve the state’s long-term fiscal outlook.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
A successful candidate will have at least a four-year degree. An advanced degree in public policy or related field is preferred. Candidates must possess excellent writing skills and the ability to communicate complex issues in a compelling manner that make policy choices clear. Strong data analysis and Excel skills are a must.
In addition, the Policy Analyst should:
- Be a strong communicator with excellent presentation skills;
- Have a strong grasp of the political process;
- Have prior experience in policy analysis and research;
- Have the ability to quickly research and understand complex issues while not losing sight of the big picture;
- Have strong project management skills;
- Be deadline-conscious, results driven and high performing in a fast-paced environment;
- Work independently and efficiently on multiple projects;
- Be able to collaborate across cross-functional teams;
- Have the capacity to development and maintain collaborative relationships with an array of stakeholders including elected officials, journalists, advocacy partners, and the general public; and
- Have a strong commitment to social and economic justice.
Experience working for an advocacy organization is helpful but not a requirement.
Knowledge of family economic security, race and gender equity, and tax and budget policy a plus; ability and desire to gain such knowledge is a must.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Voices for Illinois Children offers a competitive benefits package, including employer-provided health insurance, generous retirement plan, and paid vacation.
To apply, email a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Policy Analyst Search.” No phone calls please.
Voices for Illinois Children is an Equal Opportunity Employer that supports equal access for all people, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity or expression. We strongly encourage people of color, people with disabilities, women, veterans and LGBTQ candidates to apply.
The Voices Internship Program provides interns in communications, development, policy, and public awareness (see listings below) with valuable experience and networking opportunities with a leading advocacy organization in the state of Illinois. Voices for Illinois Children provides a flexible work schedule and a relaxed, friendly atmosphere for students to polish their skills and advance their career goals.
- There are no open internship positions at this time.